Tuesday, January 21, 2014

XXIV Mostra do Encaixe de Camariñas, Spain




I've just accepted an invitation to attend XXIV Mostra do Encaixe de Camariñas, a 4 day festival of Lace in Northern Spain this Easter.



In Italy last year, at the 'Doily Free Zone', Symposium, I met a lovely Galician lady, Marina Regueiro. Marina is an expert in bobbin lace from Galacia, and has written beautiful books on the subject. Over the course of the symposium, we chatted about our home countries, and found so many similarities between our two Celtic Nations. Dingle and Camariñas are both situated in the extreme west, both fishing towns turned surfing hotspots. We, as in Kerry, even have our own Camino now!


http://lacenews.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/camarinas.jpg

On my bucket list is a trip to Galatia, to walk some of  the famous Camino de Santiago, but unfortunately this time round, I wont have time, as it'll be a full on lace extravaganza!

I am delighted to have been invited, and along with exhibiting my own lace work, I am planning to display a variety of traditional and contemporary Irish lace-making.






No comments: